Colonel Robert W. Tirevold is the Commander of the Headquarters Air Force Security Forces Center (AFSFC) and the United States Air Force Force Protection Battlelab (FPB) at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. He directs the day-to-day operation of the AFSFC including three Air Staff divisions, and three AF Corrections Detachments. The mission of the AFSFC is to organize, train and equip over 30,000 security forces members on active duty and in the air reserve component. As commander of the FPB, Colonel Tirevold leads a selectively staffed unit of military cross-functional experts and specialty contractor agencies. The FPB staff conceives and executes battlelab initiatives that contribute to the global war on terrorism and potentially impact every American military member and coalition partner around the world. His battlelab identifies innovative concepts for force protection and rapidly measures their potential worth in advancing Air Force core competencies and joint warfighting by using field ingenuity, modeling and simulation and actual employment of exploratory capabilities in operational environments.
Col Tirevold was born in Morris, Minnesota. He entered the United States Air Force in 1978 as a distinguished graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. A security forces officer with over 29 years in the career field, Col Tirevold has had a variety of assignments from unit, major command, and air staff, including six stateside assignments and seven overseas tours.
1978 - Bachelor of Arts Degree in Sociology/Criminology, University of Minnesota, Duluth
1979 - Security Police Academy
1984 - Squadron Officer School
1986 - Air Command and Staff College
1986 - Master's Degree in Public Administration, Central Michigan University
1986 - FBI National Academy
2000 - Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar, FBI Academy
2001 - Air War College
2004 - FBI National Executive Institute, FBI Academy
1. Jul 1978 - June 1981, Shift Commander and Operations Officer, 93d Security Police Squadron, Castle AFB, California.
2. June 1981 - January 1983, Shift Commander and Chief, Plans and Programs, 3d Security Police Group, Clark AFB, Philippines.
3. February 1983 - August 1983, Squadron Section Commander, 3d Civil Engineering Group, Clark AFB, Philippines.
4. September 1983 - June 1986, Chief, Law Enforcement Branch, Executive Officer; Chief, Weapons Systems Security Branch, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces Security Police staff, Hickam AFB, Hawaii.
5. July 1986 - August 1986, attended the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy, Quantico, Virginia.
6. September 1986 - May 1989, Security Police Exchange Officer with Headquarters Air Force Office of Investigation and Chief of Security Operations and Readiness Branch, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
7. June 1989 - September 1990, Chief of Security Police/Commander, 7020th Security Police Squadron, RAF Fairford, United Kingdom.
8. October 1990 - June 1992, Chief of Security Police/Commander, 81st Security Police Squadron, RAF Bentwaters, United Kingdom.
9. July 1992 - June 1996, Air Staff Action Officer, Headquarters Unites States Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.; Air Base Defense Policy Action Officer, Operations Division and later War Plans Action Officer, Plans and Programs Division.
10. July 1996 - December 1998, Chief of Security Forces/Commander, 37th Security Forces Squadron, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
11. December 1998 - December 1999, Chief of Security Forces/Commander, 363d Expeditionary Security Forces Squadron, Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
12. December 1999 - July 2000, Deputy Commander, USAF Force Protection Battlelab, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.
13. July 2000 - June 2001, Student Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
14. July 2001 - July 2002, Chief, Plans, Policy and Programs Division assigned to the Headquarters, United States Air Force, Office of the Director of Security Forces, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
15. July 2002 - June 2004, Commander 3rd Mission Support Group, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.
16. June 2004 - July 2006, Deputy Director of Security Forces & Force Protection, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
17. July 2006 - Present, Commander, Headquarters Air Force Security Forces Center and USAF Force Protection Battlelab, Lackland AFB, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Expeditionary Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 10 June 1978
First Lieutenant 15 July 1980
Captain 15 July 1982
Major 1 May 1989
Lieutenant Colonel 1 August 1994
Colonel 1 October 2000