Colonel Patrick M. (Mike) Kelly is Commander of the Headquarters Air Force Security Forces Center (AFSFC), Lackland Air Force Base (AFB), Texas. He directs the day-to-day operation of the AFSFC, which includes three Air Staff divisions and two geographically separated corrections facilities. The overall staff function of the AFSFC is to organize, train and equip over 30,000 security forces members in the active and air reserve component (ARC). The organization is cross functional, manned by security forces, intelligence, office of special investigation, explosives ordnance disposal, medical, scientific, communications and engineering personnel. The mission includes the capability to rapidly identify and prove the worth of innovative force protection ideas which improve the ability of the Air Force to execute its core competencies and joint war fighting.
Colonel Kelly is a fully qualified security forces officer with more than 27 years' experience. During his career, he has deployed on numerous occasions supporting joint task force exercises and real-world contingencies to include Joint Task Force-Bravo in Honduras, combat support element commander for a 250-person RED HORSE unit; Joint Task Force-Panama in Panama, shift commander for security enhancement measures preceding Operation JUST CAUSE; Task Group 4.2 Forward in Puerto Rico, chief of security police for counter-narcotics operations; Joint Task Force-Southwest Asia, chief of security police for Operation SOUTHERN WATCH at Riyadh Air Base, Saudi Arabia; and Exercise BRIGHT STAR '94 in Egypt, battle staff information management officer, protocol officer and executive officer for the first overseas deployment of the Air Force's premier air intervention composite wing at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho. He returned in July 2009 from two consecutive one year TDYs to support Operations IRAQI FREEDOM AND ENDURING FREEDOM.
2010 Air Force Nuclear Security Inspection Course, Barksdale AFB, La.
2010 Nuclear Weapons Security Training Course (correspondence), Kirtland AFB, N.Mex.
2010 Joint DoD-DoE Nuclear Surety Executive Course, Kirtland AFB, N.Mex.
2010 Safety & Accident Investigation Board President Course, Barksdale AFB, La.
2009 Commander and Staff Nuclear Accident Response Workshop, Barksdale AFB, La.
2009 Air Force Incident Command System-300/400, Barksdale AFB, La.
.2007 Level IV Antiterrorism Executive Seminar, Falls Church, Va.
2007 Middle East Orientation Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2006 Air War College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Joint Forces Staff College (in-residence), Norfolk, Va.
2001 NATO Staff Officer's Orientation Course, Naval Station Keflavik, Iceland
2001 Senior Officer Security Seminar, Andrews AFB, Md.
2000 Commander's Responsibilities Course (Force Protection Level III), Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1999 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Arts Degree in Public Administration, Troy State University, Troy, Ala.
1992 Air Base Ground Defense Command Course, Lackland AFB, Tex.
1989 Squadron Officer School (in-residence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1988 Air Base Ground Defense, Air Force Level 4 Ground Combat Skills, Fort Dix, N.J.
1987 Dynamics of International Terrorism, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1985 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Journalism and Political Science, Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
1. June 1985 - September 1985, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. October 1985 - December 1985, Student, Security Police Officer Course, Lackland AFB, Tex.
3. January 1986 - January 1989, Shift Commander, 554th Security Support Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
4. February 1989 - July 1993, Operations Officer, 366th Security Police Squadron,
Mountain Home AFB, Ida.
5. August 1993 - March 1995, Executive Officer, 366th Wing, Mountain Home AFB, Ida.
6. April 1995 - March 1997, Chief, Mission Readiness Training, HQ ACC Security Police,
Langley AFB, Va.
7. April 1997 - July 1999, Commander, Detachment 3, HQ USAF Security Forces Center,
Naval Consolidated Brig, Charleston AFB, S.C.
8. August 1999 - July 2001, Commander, 7th Security Forces Squadron, Dyess AFB, Tex.
9. August 2001 - August 2003, Provost Marshall, Iceland Defense Force, Naval Air Station,
10. September 2003 - May 2005, Commander, 343d Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Tex.
11. June 2005 - June 2007, Deputy Commander, 37th Training Group, Lackland AFB, Tex.
12. June 2007 - June 2008, Director, United States Central Command Air Forces Force Protection,
Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
13. July 2008 - July 2009, Commander, 732d Air Expeditionary Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
14. September 2009 - July 2011, Deputy Director A4/7, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike
Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
15. July 2011 - Present, Commander, Headquarters Air Force Security Forces Center, Lackland AFB, Tex.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star with one device
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six devices
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one device
366th Wing Company Grade Officer of the Year
7th Security Forces Squadron, Air Combat Command Best Medium Security Forces Squadron (2000)
343d Training Squadron, Air Education & Training Command Best Large Security Forces Squadron (2003)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Colonel April 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel October 1, 2001
Major March 1, 1997
Captain May 29, 1989
First Lieutenant May 29, 1987
Second Lieutenant June 18, 1985
(Current as of Jan 2013)